Tristan Shipsides is an experienced physiotherapist with over 12 years of clinical practice.
Initially from the UK and working within a large London teaching hospital, Tristan always wanted to immerse himself in sports physiotherapy. In 2009 he decided to take a break from physio to focus on his own sporting career. Having won a number of UK age group competitions and coming 4th in the age group World Championships, Tristan transitioned to life as a sponsored professional triathlete. After two years as a pro and moving to Australia, Tristan returned to his career as a physiotherapist in private practice using his experiences and knowledge to assist athletes with running, swimming and cycling injuries.
Tristan’s other great sporting passion is rowing, He has been working closely with the Australian Rowing Team since 2012, both with the Senior and Junior Teams and is assisting with Olympic preparation in the lead up to Rio. He has forged links with the local school and community rowing clubs in both Geelong and Melbourne.
He particularly specialises in treating persistent or chronic back pain.
Tristan believes in using a bio-psychosocial approach, educating, rehabilitating and ultimately empowering athletes of all levels to achieve their goals. He believes in really listening to his patient’s stories, analysing movement as well as, where indicated, providing a hands on approach (including dry needling). He encourages active involvement of the athlete at all times. Combined with sport specific functional rehabilitation, his primary aim is to optimise patient recovery and eliminate the risk of future injury.
He has nearly achieved his aim of becoming a titled sports physiotherapist and is in the final stages of completing his Masters in Sports Physiotherapy at La Trobe University this year. He has also initiated a Bike Fitting program at the Geelong clinic.
Tristan currently works with several sporting bodies and clubs internationally, nationally and locally.
Career Highlights / Affiliations / Associations
- Australian Rowing Team – Senior Team Physio, Olympic Qualification Regatta and World Cup 2 (2016)
- Australian Rowing Team – Junior Team Physio – Junior World Championships (2015)
- Australian Rowing Team – U21 Team Physio – Trans-Tasman Cup (2014)
- Team Physio – Athletics Australia, Oceania Championships (2014)
- Team Physio – Athletics Australia, Oceania Championships (2013)
- Team Physio – Barwon Sports Academy Swim squad (2012–2015)
- Physiotherapist – Geelong Swim Club squad (2012–2015)
- Head Physio – Leopold Football Club (2012-2014)