Dr Frenkiel works full time in Sport and Exercise Medicine and has a passion for treating all musculoskeletal injuries, whether it be recreational, elite or work related.
After completing his undergraduate degree in biomedical science at Monash University, Brett graduated in medicine from Bond University in 2009. Ranked amongst the top of his class, Brett received multiple awards for academic excellence as well as the prestigious vice chancellors award. Following this he trained as a junior doctor with Austin Health where he gained extensive experience in general medicine, emergency medicine, paediatrics, trauma and surgery. Dr Frenkiel has devoted the last three years towards a Master’s degree at Monash University, researching new ways to treat problematic inflammation and fibrosis. Brett is committed to constant learning, development and research. He has multiple publications in respected medical journals and has presented his work at international conferences.
Dr Frenkiel has extensive sports medicine experience working with several different teams. Following two years with Port Melbourne in the VFL, Brett completed a two year AFL medical Fellowship with St. Kilda FC. He has worked with A-league teams, Eastern Ranges TAC Cup, Melbourne storm U-16’s and Melbourne City’s youth team. Currently, Brett is Chief Medical Officer with Sandringham in the VFL, Medical officer at St. Kilda FC in the AFL and is the Melbourne Victory youth team Doctor.
Brett is passionate about all things sport and his own personal highlights include captaining the Bond University AFL team at two university games as well as representing Australia four times at international level, playing for the “Docceroos” in the world medical football championships.
Career Highlights / Affiliations / Associations
- Chief Medical Officer – Sandrigham Football Club (2015-Present)
- Team Doctor – Melbourne Victory National Youth League / NPL (Present)
- Medical Officer – St. Kilda FC (2014–Present)
- Team Doctor – VFL team of the Year, International Rules series vs. Ireland (Melbourne) (2014)
- Team Doctor – Port Melbourne Football Club (2012-2014)
- Team Doctor – Melbourne City National Youth League (2012-2013)
- Faculty Member – Australia and New Zealand Burns Association EMSB Course (2012-2013)
- Faculty Board – Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University (2012-2013)
Research / Publications
Professional Conference Presentations
- Tranaxemic Acid in traumatic epistaxis, ACSP Annual Conference, 2016
- Partial ACL injuries, AFL Medical Officers Association Professional Development Weekend, 2015
- Supplement Guidelines of an elite Australian Rules Football Club, XXI Global Congress on Medicine and Health
- in Sport, 2015
- Follistatin and fibrosis, 19th Advanced Aesthetic Surgery Workshop, 2015
- Concussion in Sport, Docceroos Trial Weekend, 2014
- 5th Metatarsal stress fractures, AFL Medical Officers Association Professional Development Weekend, 2014