Adam Castricum became a Fellow with the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians (ACSEP) in 2008 after successfully completing 6 years of training in Melbourne and Sydney. Adam was appointed Chief Medical Officer for Athletics Australia soon after and headed up the medical team for the successful Australian Track and Field team at the 2012 London Olympic Games. In 2014 Adam joined the excellent medical and conditioning team at Hawthorn Football Club. In 2015, Adam joined the ACSEP Board as Vice President, sitting on the Continuing Professional Development and Accreditation Committees. In 2016 Adam was elected President of ACSEP. As President of ACSEP, Adam also sits on the Council of Presidents of Medical College (CPMC) and advocates for the high-quality medical specialist training as well as the health of all Australians.
Adam’s professional areas of interest include athletics, all codes of football, alpine skiing, lower limb injuries, exercise prescription, adolescent injuries, fatigue in athletes and exercise-induced asthma, on which he completed his Masters Research in 2008.
Adam also performs interventions including ultrasound-guided joint injections, extracorporeal shock wave therapy, and iontophoresis.
Adam is passionate about sport and exercise and takes great satisfaction helping all members of the community achieve their goals in a safe, and healthy fashion whether they are elite athletes or simply inactive patients wishing to get active and lead a healthier, more rewarding life.
Career Highlights / Affiliations / Associations
- 2014 – 2015
Hawthorn Premierships – a wonderful team effort in the face of numerous on and off-field challenges from a great club.
London Olympic Games with Sally Pearson adding Olympic Gold to her World Championship for the 100m hurdles, and the belated and well deserved Gold medal to Jared Tallent in the 50km walk, with Mitch Watt picking up a silver medal in the long jump.
World Athletics Championships in Berlin – the best result by an Australian Team at a Major Championship, including the remarkable pole vault gold medal to Steve Hooker in the most extraordinary circumstances.
- Team Doctor – Hawthorn AFL Football Club (2014–2017)
- Chief Medical Officer – Athletics Australia (2008-2016)
- Team Doctor – Australian Athletics Team:
- Olympic Games, London, UK (2012); Rio, Brazil (2016)
- World Athletics Championships: Beijing, China (2015); Daegu, Korea (2011); Berlin, Germany (2009)
- Commonwealth Games: Glasgow (2014); Delhi, India (2010)
- Team Doctor – Australian Junior Athletics Team:
- World Junior Championships, Bydgoszcz, Poland (2008)
- Athletics Competition Chief Medical Officer – Melbourne Commonwealth Games (2006)
- Team Doctor – Australian Youth Athletics Team (2005-2008):
- World Youth Championships: Ostrava, Czech Republic (2007); Marrakech, Morocco (2005)
- Team Doctor – Bendigo Bombers VFL / Essendon AFL Club (2008)
- Team Doctor – Sydney Swans AFL Football Club (2006)
- Medical Officer – NSW/ACT AFL Academy (2006)
- Team Doctor – Sydney University Rugby Union Team (2005)
- Team Doctor – Australian U21 Rugby Union Team, World Cup, Scotland (2004)
- Team Doctor – Williamstown VFL / Collingwood AFL Football Club (2003)
- Team Doctor – Collingwood AFL Football Club (2003)
- Team Doctor – World Masters Games, Melbourne (2002)
Research / Publications
Professional Conference Presentations
- 2017 – University of Singapore and Singapore Stem Cell Society Roundtable – Professional Practice Guidelines for Autologous Stem Cells in Australia
- 2017 – Sri Lanka Institute of Sports Medicine – ACSEP – From Sports to Exercise and Beyond
- 2017 – Sports Medicine Australia Conference – Navigating Emerging Biotechnology interventions in Sport and Exercise Medicine – where current practice and innovation meets the evidence and the patient
- 2017 – Rural Medicine Australia – How to get your patients active without upsetting their tendons
- 2017 – Rural Medicine Australia – Clinical MSK Examination Workshop
- 2017 – Australian Indigenous Doctors Association (AIDA) Conference – ACSEP Clinical Examination Workshop – Shoulder and Knee
- 2017 – SEMSA conference, Melbourne – How to get your patients active? When buying a fitbit is not enough
- 2017 – ACSEP GP symposium, Melbourne – How to get your patients active? When buying a fitbit is not enough
- 2017 – SEMSA ACL session – A crucial injury
- 2016 – SMNZ Conference, Auckland – Hamstring injuries in athletics – beware the tendon!
- 2015 – ACSP GP symposium, Melbourne – Conditions around the hip in the exercising population
- 2014 – SMA Annual Conference, Canberra – Hamstring injuries in athletics – not just muscle strains
- 2014 – Imaging @ Olympic Park symposium – Conservative management of Injuries around the hip in the exercising population
- 2014 – International Hip arthroscopy meeting, Melbourne – Ischiofemoral impingement syndrome
- 2014 – High Performance Sport Medical Officer Group Conference, Canberra – Sport Supplement policies – AFL vs AA
- 2013 – SMA Webinar – Supplements in Sport
- 2013 – ACSP Annual Conference, Coffs Harbour – Field event injuries in athletics
- 2012 – Mercy Private Hip and Groin talk – Conservative management of Injuries around the hip in the exercising population
- 2012 – Athletics Australia symposium – Exercise induced leg pain
- 2008 – ACSM, Nashville, USA – The role of the bronchial provocation challenge tests in the diagnosis of exercise induced bronchoconstriction in elite swimmers
Choose a location to book an appointment now.